Thursday, November 8, 2007

WHAT HAPPENED?

Many things has happened in my lifetime, but only one thing changed my life, the lost of a close friend, My father.
My father or should I say "pop" was my best friend from far back as I can remember. As a little girl I remember him picking me up from my grandmothers house after he got off work, and taking me out to eat or buying me some shoes or just hanging out with him, it was like the world to me. As I got older things started to change, and there was a lot of problems in my family.
When I was 16 years old me and my mother moved to Virginia to make a change and get to know each other, because it was not a good relationship with me and her. Moving to Virginia was not a good thing for me. First things I missed my "pop", and i wanted to be with him to make sure he was good. Things didn't go that way. I dropped out of school and started hanging with the hype crowd.
I always knew no matter what the situation was where my pop was at (REHAB;ON THE STREETS;OR ON A MISSION).
In 2003 he moved out of Philly with his life on the line. Now the rolls must change. I was the parent and he was the child. He found him an apartment in West Virginia, so he lived there for 3 years, until the alcohol mad him sick. Now hes back living in Virginia with me, because taking the trips back and forth was to much. For the first 3 months everything was good and we were back as a family after 10 years, yeah it was good. Then he moved and got his own place now back to the problems. The alcohol was always an issues with my father ever since he left the Vietnam War, as with a lot of the vets.
So as time went on he got really sick. On July 22,2007 he passed on to lead another life.
Since the lost I have gained a lot of strengh to make myself a better person. Not to live in the same life-steps that my father took and also learn to build a better life with my step-sister.
He always wanted me to get my GED so here Iam now trying to make my way to the top!



2 comments:

Adam Nathanson said...

Corie,
That's a very moving piece of writing! Are you keeping a journal to track all the events of your life? It's really not my role to assess the content of what you wrote, but more to make sure that for purposes of passing the GED, that each learner answers specifically and directly the question. Also, remember to run spellcheck to catch minor spelling errors. This evening post again in direct response to the essay question asked in the November 8 post on the fasttrackged blog.
Thanks for sharing your writing with me,
Adam

Adam Nathanson said...

Corie,
I had no idea the story could become even more emotionally engaging until I read the addition from Thursday night. It's pretty remarkable that you took such averse circumstances and turned them into inspiration. As we go forward with this class, start to think about the time constraints that the GED Essay requires (about 45 minutes), then try to respond to within the timeframe for future prompts as practice.
See you tonight,
Adam